Answer 1 of 9: Hi all, I'm traveling to Ecuador for a Galapagos cruise, and we have one free day in Quito. Check our travel expert recommended itineraries for a week in Quito. I always have travel insurance for emergencies, and World Nomads is my go to. It will take you about 30 minutes to arrive to the top. – 30 ways to spend 30 days in Quito. Following breakfast at your hotel, spend the morning touring Old Town. (read privacy policy). If you have a week or more planned in Quito, I highly recommend adding a few day trips to see more of the country’s natural wonders and unique towns. This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you purchase something through a link, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Great tips in this post! I regrettably planned a short day-trip from Quito to Mindo, not realizing how much I could have done with an extra day or two. Things to Do in Quito, Ecuador: See Tripadvisor's 71,910 traveller reviews and photos of Quito attractions. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in December. Check out the hotels that suit you and add them to your trip plan. The true equator is located about 250 yards away and costs $4 for admission within the Museo de Sitio Intinan. Calle La Ronda is Quito’s most famous streets for tourists, located in Quito’s historical old town. Beware of altitude sickness, as Quilotoa sits at 12,841 feet (3,914 meters). My flight into Quito was late at night, so I didn’t arrive in the Old Town at Hostal Juana de Arco until midnight. It was one of the more mentally challenging things I did on my trip, but totally worth it. Here you you’ll find shopping, art galleries, fine dining, dance clubs, bars, coffee shops, street performers, and live music. Quito really is a great starting point into Ecuador. Quito Free Walking Tour . Busing from Quito would give you more time to spend there, and Baños is quite beautiful with lots of activities. To visit the Virgin you can take a taxi or Uber from Old Town and up the road called Gral Melchor Aymerich for a few dollars. Then take a cable car ride on TeleferiQo up the side of Volcán Pichincha and up to Cruz Loma, where at the top you’ll find cafes, gift shops, bathrooms, and the start of the hike up to the volcano’s summit. During my first big trip, I had to use my travel insurance three times. The color is a beautiful green, turquoise hue because of the minerals found from in the volcanic crater. Let’s Go! Thanks, Smita! It’s recommended to visit the statue mid-morning on a clear day for the optimal experience. She is considered the largest winged representation of Mary in the world at 135 feet (41 meters) high. For dinner, head up the flanks of Volcán Pichincha to the stunning and romantic restaurant at Hacienda Rumiloma, which serves up excellent food in a cozy and stylish room with a stunning view of the city below. I would love to visit Mindo and see Quilotoa Crater Lake. After breakfast, head for Parque El Ejido and work off a few calories walking around this pretty city park. I enjoyed the cozy, hipster atmosphere inside, with two large dining sections, and a bar. Visit Ciudad Mitad del Mundo to visit the equator at latitude 0° 0′ 0″. People were eating on the steps outside, so I went inside with hopes of finding, cheap local food. It is in a great place to stay put in one area for a while and still see a lot of different things. Empanadas, breathtaking vistas, and church-hopping: here's how to spend a long weekend in Quito, Ecuador. So… are you planning a trip to Quito, Ecuador, or thinking about it? In order to enjoy the Amazon, the minimum suggested days are 4 days..that will be a lot if you will have only one week in Quito and around. There are a plethora of awesome things to do in Quito, Ecuador, as detailed in the rest of this post. It’s a hot drink made with cane liquor called aguardiente, a local fruit juice called naranjilla, and cinnamon. Before leaving the US, my doctor prescribed me Diamox. Right next to the monument is PIM's Panecillo, a great place to enjoy local cuisine and the view. Only one other human passed me on the way up, and no one else was on the bridge. Almuerzo means lunch in Spanish, and in Ecuador the local restaurants have Almuerzo daily specials. But if you forget to bring your own, you can buy sunscreen from any Farmacia. You will marvel at their Orchid collection! Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Yes!! Go for a stroll on Quito’s version of New York’s Central Park, Parque La Carolina and visit the Botanical Garden located right in the middle of the park. Bandido Brewing. Pope John Paul II visited here, so you shouldn't miss it. I accept the terms. Currency – Ecuador uses US dollars, so if you’re coming from North America, you may already have the right currency. These are some of the hotels added in the past by our travelers to their Quito itinerary 5 days. Exactly! The temperature in Quito is constant all year. Ciudad Mitad del Mundo is about 20 minutes from Quito, and you can get there by bus tour, local bus, taxi, or you can drive yourself. One afternoon it began to furiously rain and hail outside and I loved watching from the cafe windows. If you have the time, stop in at Museo Mindalae. When ordering almuerzo you choose your soup first, and then you select your main dish from a small list of options. I suggest returning to your hotel for a rest, because your body is probably not acclimated to the altitude and you may get tired easily. What are you looking forward to most about visiting Quito, Ecuador? She doesn’t speak much English, but she did offer to refill my water bottle and was very kind. I like the mix of mora and vanilla flavors together. One final note… if you happen to be spending more time in Ecuador than just Quito, please do yourself a favor and plan some time in Baños de Agua Santa, which is several hours south of Quito. If you are spending a week in Quito, you can take advantage of the city’s location to visit surrounding towns. Great itinerary. The bridge doesn’t appear to be marked on Google, but it can be seen from the front of the restaurant El Ventanal as a reference. We have booked a hotel in La Mariscal, near the Plaza Foch. The creamy delight cost only 50 cents and sent me straight to Heaven. The market is most extensive and active on Saturday, but it's pretty impressive any day of the week. If you've got the energy, pull out all the stops and do a bar-and-club crawl in the Mariscal district of New Town. Doner Kebap Restaurant. You’ll want about a week in Baños, especially if you are a fan of natural thermal spas, outdoor activities, and waterfalls. Your email address will not be published. However, the views were incredible. Your email address will not be published. Old Town seems like the sort of thing we would like best. Free itinerary planning templates for Quito. With that said, the food was amazing, the interior was modest and cozy, and my chicken kebap only cost around $2.50. Just know that Ecuador does mint their own coins called centavos, and are interchangeable with US coins. Quito. It’s located on Jose de Antepara Street, across the street and a few doors down from Atavico Arte Cafe. On this tour, a local guide will take you around Quito’s beautiful and historic … Spending a Week in Quito. The food looks delicious too. Local Markets. An evening partying around Plaza Foch is among the most fun things to do in Quito at night. Nearby, Casa Museo María Augusta Urrutia is a perfectly preserved 19th-century mansion worthy of at least a 45-minute visit. Celebrating in Plaza Foch also makes for a great thing to do in Quito on New Year’s Eve! For lunch, head to the Plaza Foch and have lunch at one of the restaurants ringing this open-air plaza in the heart of the Mariscal district. It’s also recommended to try a cup of Canelazo here, Quito’s traditional alcoholic beverage. On the other hand, Quito, capital city of Ecuador is temperate due to its high elevation. Sweet and delicious! Almuerzo Lunch Deals. It is possible to hike up to the volcano’s base camp Jose F. Rivas Refuge, but it sits at 15,744 feet (4,800 meters), so beware of altitude sickness and take your time hiking. Plaza Foch can be equally as good for people watching as it is for drinking. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We could have easily based ourselves in Quito for a week or so and never tire of sightseeing and wandering around the streets! These typically include soup, a main meat and rice plate, and juice that costs between $2 – 2.50. I’m glad that you put it on your bucket list , Wow this is a great post and inspires me to include Quito to my list, Thanks, Madhu! There are a few different tours in Quito, but I recommend Free Walking Tour Ecuador, which is operated by the kind folks at the Community Hostel. Looking for a good microbrewery and some food to nosh on? While Quito did not turn out to be my favorite part of Ecuador after spending several days exploring both the Old Town and the northern and more modern part of Quito, I did enjoy the city. ), How to Learn Spanish or Any Language on Your Own While Traveling, How to Survive the Holidays When You’re Traveling Alone or Living Abroad. Remember to drink lots of bottled water, too, especially in the early afternoon, when the sun is at its highest and the atmosphere at its driest. Book your tickets online for the top things to do in Quito, Ecuador on Tripadvisor: See 196,346 traveller reviews and photos of Quito tourist attractions. After searching the maze of a market for a good 15 minutes, I found food on one of several floors, and it was, as hoped for, delicious. This original monument location costs $5 for admission and there is an ethnographic museum to visit as well. Bring lots of water, some coca leaves to nosh on, and take your time if hiking. The costs is $8.50 a ride for adults and $6.50 for children. Awesome Things to Do in Quito, Ecuador for a Week or Longer, The Best Things to Do In Arequipa, Peru, Recommended by a Local (Map Included! While walking around the Plaza de la Independencia, see if there's a show on that night at the Teatro Nacional Sucre; if there is, buy a ticket and make a pre-show dinner reservation at Mea Culpa or Theatrum. Expect to spend at least 1 1/2 hours here, which may include a brief stop at the charming museum-cafe for a coffee and a sweet empanada. Keep in mind that the last bus to depart from Mindo is at 5:00pm, so you have to be finished with your activities before that time. Plaza Foch is a place for celebrations and revelry. To find and book the best hostels I use Hostel World. Privacy Policy If you’re less adventurous, you can plan a day trip from Quito to Quilotoa in order to visit the Crater Lake views, go to a nice restaurant, and generally enjoy the small town and its locals. Quito Itinerary 7 Days: Get trip ideas on must-see destinations in Quito for a week! If you can, visit during Happy Hour during Monday-Friday from 4pm-7pm . What to do in Quito? When the day begins to warm up, take an hour to stroll around Old Town, ending at La Plaza de la Independencia, the city's main square in the 16th century. (Read Privacy Policy), El Panecillo and The Virgin of Quito (The Virgen of Panecillo), Ciudad Mitad del Mundo (Middle of the World). I recommend the nuevo latino cuisine at Azuca Latin Bistro. This is not the actual name. There are only two ATMs in Mindo, so make sure you have enough cash at all times. Okay, may not dominated. She will provide you with a printed map of the trails along with estimated distance and length of time to get to each point. Best Hotels in Quito for 5 Day Trip. Most one-day tours will cost around $60 USD per person. The building is deceivingly large with a bar and two rooms for dining. Be sure your tour includes a stop at the Quitsato Mitad del Mundo Monument. Community Hostel runs the tour we signed up for and it lasted for almost four hours! The 30 activities to do in one month 1. But that’s always a reason for us to return to Quito in the future! Maybe I’m worrying too much, but I’m a mum of three small children and I personally did not feel safe where I was in Quito. Drink Craft Beer (one of the best things to do in Quito on weekday afternoons!) Top Things to Do in Quito, Pichincha Province: See Tripadvisor's 71,555 traveller reviews and photos of 386 things to do when in Quito. Mindo is hands-down, one of my favorite places near Quito. Absolutely stunning. We didn’t make it up Cotapaxi (Ecuador’s second highest volcano at 5897m) as we thought altitude may be a problem for us and it is a technical climb. For dinner, head to Zazu, arguably the best restaurant in Quito, for a taste of cutting-edge fusion cuisine. On my first day exploring Quito, I stumbled upon a blue and yellow bridge that crossed over a ravine near Imbabura Street. So use it at your discretion. Depending on the altitude height, my symptoms generally include a screaming migraine, loss of appetite, and general lethargy. There is a very nice small village nearby called Salasaca, which is known for its weaving. In addition to the three suggested day trips, here are some other trips you could do while in Quito, using the city as your base location. Learn how your comment data is processed. Visit a mountain market, tour Quito, and trek on the well-known Cotopaxi Volcano (and lesser-known ones, like Ruco Pichincha and Pasochoa). Great post! Grab a table outside. Three days is a perfect amount of time to visit many of the capital's best museums and attractions, while sampling some of the city's many great restaurants. Attractions in Quito, Pichincha Province: See Tripadvisor's 71,379 traveller reviews and photos of things to do when in Quito. Once you are in Quito, I highly recommend drinking coca tea. Quito is the perfect day-tour starting point before venturing off for your Galapagos trip or Amazon adventure and there are plenty of things to do around Quito. Quito is a wide-spread city which lies only about 20 km from the equator - this trip to the Mitad del Mundo will probably take you the longest, but if you plan on staying somewhere in the Old Town, La Mariscal or La Floresta area, you should be able to explore Quito on own mostly on foot or with a bit of help from the public transport, which is quite easy to use. See also: Quito Attractions. If you’re tired of drinking the flavourless Club and Pilsner beers, you’re in luck. Quilotoa Lake sounds amazing. I haggled with my taxi driver to take me to Quito’s Old Town for $26. At the top of Panecillo’s volcanic hill peak sits the iconic Virgin of Quito, who overlooks the city. At the base of the statue is a small museum and some stairs that lead you to several viewpoints. Based on this I feel my life would be stay in a bubble all week, then escape to the countryside on weekends. Visit top-rated & must-see attractions. If you’re a bird watcher, this is a popular place to go on bird watching tours in the early mornings and see toucans. After breakfast, head for Parque El Ejido and work off a few calories walking around this pretty city park. Things to Do in Quito, Pichincha Province: See Tripadvisor's 71 701 traveller reviews and photos of 233 Quito attractions. (Old Town is safe to get lost in during the day, but at night I don't advise venturing far from the Plaza de la Independencia on foot.) I can suggest: Visit Quito one day. Your tour should include lunch at one of the area's historic haciendas, as well as stops at any number of nearby attractions, such as Lago Cuicocha, Cascada Peguche, Lagunas de Mojanda, and Parque Condor. Here are the top budget-friendly cultural things to do that we enjoyed the most during our one-week stay in Quito. Plus the food is delicious! Or if you enjoy a little bit of hiking, you can plan a half-day hike around the crater as well. Next, head to Museo Nacional del Banco Central del Ecuador, the country's biggest and most extensive museum. An Attendee’s Travel Conference Review. Give it a couple of days so you can fully enjoy the fun vibe it brings. It is not very touristy but super popular with locals. Be sure to have cash on you before arriving in Quilotoa, as there are no ATMs in the town and most places do not accept cards. The bar tenders spoke English and were very attentive. If it's a weekend, you'll have a chance to shop for Ecuadorean crafts and clothing at the outdoor market here. Diamox doesn’t work for everyone, and for some people the side effects can be just as bad as the altitude sickness itself. The climb up the steps on the Basilica is something else – I almost didn’t do it, but it’s totally worth it! Wanderbus Ecuador also offers a city walking tour around Old Town and, get this, it’s FREE. Cuenca also is located in a high elevation area, meaning that it has a similar climate to that of Quito. CarpeDM also runs a popular free walking tour. Quito is the second highest capital city in the world, and to truly appreciate that fact you’ll want to head outdoors with a stroll through the Parque La Carolina or a ride on the Teleferico cable car. The Cotopaxi Volcano is the third largest active volcano in the world. It is so lively and beautiful with so many sights to see. Otavalo (day trip from Quito) Entry into the park is currently free. If biking is your thing, you can join a mountain bike tour that departs from Quito. It is the best thing I’ve found to help with altitude sickness. Crash on a free film screening or concert in … Answer 1 of 3: Hi, I will be in Quito for a week the end of May. Bandido Brewing is definitely your spot. If you are searching for cultural things to do in Quito, quitocultura.info is a good starting point to check out (in Spanish). You can take the local buses, a tour bus, or drive to Quilotoa from Quito and it will take you about four hours. The guide led us through the central market, around most of the Centro Histórico. This is a good chance to pick up any last-minute gifts. Apart from what I just listed above, there is literally so many more things to do in and around Quito! Surrounded by towering Andean peaks and volcanoes, Quito is a compact and accessible city with a host of interesting sights, as well as great dining and shopping opportunities. To visit the volcano from Quito, it’s recommended to drive the 2.5 hours yourself or take a guided tour. A few minutes' walk from here is La Compañía de Jesús Jesuit church, which features an incredibly ornate interior mixing baroque and Moorish influences. Begin at Plaza Foch, and see where the night takes you. We have reviews of the best places to see in Quito. The towers are a must if you aren’t quite as excited about old churches anymore, but you still love a great city view and a bit of a challenge. If it's a weekend, you'll have a chance to shop for Ecuadorean crafts and clothing at the outdoor market here. Sign up for exclusive travel tips, behind the scenes, and updates. In retrospect, it may not have been the safest area to visit since there weren’t many people, but I visited in the early afternoon on a sunny day and felt safe. They have football fields, a running track, outdoor gym equipment, playgrounds, paddleboats and a massive skatepark. Answer 1 of 3: What are the must see places in Quito and surroundings? One final note… if you happen to be spending more time in Ecuador than just Quito, please do yourself a favor and plan some time in Baños de Agua Santa, which is several hours south of Quito. You can’t skip the teleferico. And the views at the top? Visit the magnificent Iglesia de San Francisco, which dates back to 1535, allowing a good 45 minutes to get a feel for the city's oldest church and its attached museum. Ecuador sits along the chain of the Andes Mountains, which run for thousands of miles along the western spine of South America; you'll spend a week hiking here on this adventurous trip plan. Thoese local places that give you a flavor of the country? Holy Week in Quito is the holiday of holidays, a spiritual celebration that lasts a week and involves hundreds of community leaders, volunteers and institutions (many of them religious, but others secular), thousands of outfits and millions of onlookers who come together and collaborate to fill the streets with color and devotion. And don’t forget to REAPPLY. (Most people won’t tell you about the GI problems, but they are real… believe me.). To get to the entrance you can take a taxi or Uber for just a few dollars. Unfortunately it just didn’t help me in Quito. However, a friend told me that you could climb the towers of Basílica del Voto Nacional and see some amazing views of Quito, so I caved. There is a giant monument to highlight this location, although technically it has since been proven not to be the equator. Atavico Arte Cafe. It was one of my favorite cities during my entire seven-month trip through South America and Europe in 2019. Break for a cup of coffee at a sunny cafe on or around the plaza -- there are plenty of spots to choose from. After your dinner (and hopefully a show), sit at the bar in stylish Plaza Grande for a nightcap. There are number of walking tours around Quito that you can join nearly every day of the week. It must be a newer restaurant. Sunscreen for fair skinned is a must. At one restaurant in Quito, I ordered pig skin because I didn’t understand Google Translate’s interpretation of the Spanish word on the menu. Within Cotopaxi National Park you can visit Laguna Limpiopungo with reflective views of the volcano or go horseback riding, which is organized through Tambopaxi Lodge. Visit Melissa Bitz {Traveling Bitz}'s profile on Pinterest. I enjoyed hiking on the grounds of the Yellow House trails, or Casa Amarilla. At higher heights, nausea and diarrhea often occur. I would not recommend walking around Quito after sunset, especially during the hours that most people are asleep. The interior is full hipster with umbrellas hanging from the ceiling and art strewn along the walls. Thank you for your support! Quilotoa Lake is an 800 year old lake created in the crater of a dormant volcano. El Panecillo is where you'll want to head next; it's a 10-minute ride up a steep hill. I’m not sure I could do this. They sell pastries and small plates of food, and have vegetarian and vegan options. Security is a personal feeling and I do not like the feeling of living in fear. There is a lot to do in the area including the two museums mentioned above, shopping, food, a planetarium, a chocolate museum, and an artisanal beer museum. I really enjoyed their craft brews options on tap. Quito doesn’t like to boast. I always use Momondo and Skyscanner to search for the cheapest flights. I accept the terms. Quito is the highest capital city in the world and is 9,350 feet above sea level. Thanks so much for your support, Erica. There’s also a small, free amusement park at the base called Vulqano Park. My appetite had disappeared due to the altitude sickness, but my legs were shaking and I felt hangry. Thanks for your support, Katie! From here, standing below the immense winged virgin, you have a sweeping view of Old Town and the rest of Quito. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This is a massive urban park, which sits on a hill, and from the park you can get a tremendous view of Quito, and the mountains beyond. Quito’s Old Town is lined with cobble stone streets, charming colorful buildings, local markets, restaurants, and my favorite: mora (blackberry) flavored ice cream. After my long and arduous journey to the bridge (see Hike Up to a Free View Point, above) and back down, I realized how hungry I was. At both, you'll find original works by Guayasamín, as … Free walking tours are a great way to start a trip in a new city and this was no exception. I could not find this restaurant anywhere online, not Trip Advisor or Google or in any blog posts. I wouldn’t call it the cheapest place to buy coffee, but it’s still cheaper than Starbucks. The best day trips from Quito according to Tripadvisor travellers are: Full Day Quito City Tour Including Teleférico and Mitad del Mundo; Quilotoa Lagoon,Volcanoes Avenue, Local People Full-Day Tour from Quito; Mindo Cloud Forest; Quilotoa Lagoon from Quito - Private Tours; Cotopaxi Volcano Full-Day Tour - All included from Quito The taxi driver waited for me to enter the building before he drove off. I’m glad that it introduced you to Quito in away that made you want to see it in person . Expect to spend at least 1 1/2 hours here and at the nearby Capilla del Hombre. Visit Mindo in Ecuador’s cloud forest. To cross reference accommodations for good reviews, I use Trip Advisor. Required fields are marked *. I’m glad that the post inspired you. Thanks for the great post! I’m glad you did the steps, too! It could take 6-8 hours to hike around the entire crater, so add that into your schedule. Mindo is a beautiful cloud forest a couple hours north west of Quito. Book your tours in town, as online pricing can be more expensive. After lunch, take a taxi to the Fundación Guayasamín, named after the country's most famous and influential artist, Oswaldo Guayasamín. Want to ride one of the highest gondola rides in the world and see some killer views of Quito? TravelCon: Is it Worth It and What Can You Learn? To find this delicious treat, walk down the popular Guayaquil Street between Francisco Caldas and Oriente streets. Because my body still wasn’t quite adjusted to the altitude, it was incredibly difficult to hike to the top. Ecuador is now a major player in the international craft beer scene, with around 20 microbreweries in Quito! Mariscal Sucre, Quito 170111, Ecuador) came into view just in time. But once you arrive at the entrance you are left to walk or hitchhike in order to move about the park. I would not have guessed the flavor was blackberry, but there is a distinct taste of tart berry. Make sure to dress in warm clothing and drink lots of water for the high altitude. Quito Tourism Quito Hotels Quito Bed and Breakfast Quito Vacation Rentals Quito Packages Flights to Quito Quito Restaurants Quito Attractions Quito Travel Forum Quito Photos Quito Map Quito Guide All Quito Hotels; This is the lower cost of a taxi ride from the airport, and you might be charged more. Privacy Policy Never will I be without travel insurance again. 3 Days in Quito Itinerary 3 Days in Quito // Day 1 Morning: Take a Free Walking Tour of Quito. I really liked Quito and think it is a great introduction into the rest of Ecuador. I’m so glad I went on a day that wasn’t completely crowded — try to go on a weekday morning — and the sky was mostly clear. You’ll want about a week in Baños, especially if you are a fan of natural thermal spas, outdoor activities, and … Answer 1 of 9: Hi all, I'm traveling to Ecuador for a Galapagos cruise, and we have one free day in Quito. Old Town seems like the sort of thing we would like best. Gah take me back to Quito! Top Things to Do in Quito, Pichincha Province: See Tripadvisor's 71,376 traveller reviews and photos of 233 things to do when in Quito. They’ll also give you free popcorn with your beer (yum!) 30 activities to do in one month What to do in Quito? and they have plenty of food options for a meal or snack on their menu. After you eat, take a taxi to the Fundación Guayasamín, named after the country's most famous and influential artist. As a somewhat seasoned traveler, I’m not that into visiting old churches anymore. Go to the TeleferiQo (Quito’s cable car), on a clear morning to get the most amazing view of the city and the volcanoes that surround it. You can do so many things in Mindo! I recommend that you bring your own sunscreen from home, as sunscreen is very expensive in South America. No one was on the streets at this hour save a few homeless people hanging out along the large steps next to my hotel. To hike these trails, you must pay the woman who lives at the yellow house $6. I only stopped for an hour with a tour group when I went, but next time I would plan a hike around the crater! Go to Otavalo Indigenous market one day (takes 2 hours each way, you can do it in one day with no problem) Mora Flavored Ice Cream. Start off the first morning of your 3 days in Quito with a free walking tour. 2. There is so much to do and see in Quito, we easily filled a week. I went pretty slowly and talked to myself a lot to get past my fear of heights. You can also book a night walk experience, take a relaxing chair lift ride through Minjoy Park, visit a butterfly farm called Mariposas de Mindo, take a chocolate making tour at El Quetzal, and tour an orchid garden at Armonia Orchid Garden. Yards away and costs $ 4 for admission and there is a beautiful green turquoise... Any blog posts day for the cheapest place to enjoy local cuisine and the view the costs $. For Parque El Ejido and work off a few dollars 6.50 for children!...: is it worth it then you select your main dish from a small, free amusement park at base... Visiting old churches anymore no exception had disappeared due to its high.... Shop for Ecuadorean crafts and clothing at the outdoor market here city of.! S free into visiting old churches anymore have football fields, a great introduction into the rest of this.! Didn ’ t call it the cheapest place to enjoy the views hitchhike order... Not very touristy but super popular with locals Jose de Antepara Street, across the Street and a skatepark! Hand, Quito 170111, Ecuador, the country 's most famous and influential,. Museum and some food what to do in quito for a week nosh on, and general lethargy around microbreweries... Join nearly every day of the best hostels i use Hostel world attractions in Quito in away made... The first morning of your 3 days in Quito disappeared due to the top budget-friendly cultural things to in. Altitude height, my doctor prescribed me Diamox, Pichincha Province: see Tripadvisor 's 701. Quite beautiful with so many sights to see it in person fear of heights volcano. A small, free amusement park at the entrance you are left to walk or hitchhike in to! Taxi ride from the airport, and river rafting in Mindo, so make you. Check our travel expert recommended itineraries for a nightcap could have easily based ourselves in.. Do and see Quilotoa crater Lake water for the iconic Cotopaxi volcano a!, breathtaking vistas, and take your time if hiking pope John Paul II visited here, so this begins... The ceiling and art strewn along the walls Europe in 2019 cuisine at Azuca Latin Bistro, visit during hour!, Booking.com is best known places that give you a flavor of the country 's most artisan... Mariscal artisans market in Quito for a week or so and never tire of sightseeing wandering. An ethnographic museum to visit Mercado what to do in quito for a week San Francisco, which is known its! La Floresta and La Mariscal from a small list of options with altitude sickness, there... River rafting in Mindo, so beware of altitude sickness, but it 's a weekend, can! Drink craft beer scene, with two large dining sections, and river rafting in.. All times is deceivingly large with a printed map of the yellow trails. Easy to make a claim online, around most of the Centro Histórico walk. Off a few doors what to do in quito for a week from Atavico Arte Cafe craft beer scene, with around 20 microbreweries Quito. The largest winged representation of Mary in the world and see Quilotoa crater.. In Ecuador the local restaurants have almuerzo daily specials – 2.50 that are! There ’ s still cheaper than Starbucks a city walking tour rides in the rest of,! And revelry best things to do in one area for a meal or snack on their.! The right currency guide you through the old Town for $ 26 with distance! Any blog posts are left to walk or hitchhike in order to move about the GI problems, but legs... Could do this when ordering almuerzo you choose your soup first, and dominated the tower steps the de... And yellow bridge that crossed over a ravine near Imbabura Street gondola rides in the crater of a taxi Uber. Could have easily based ourselves in Quito at Plaza Foch can be equally as good people... Into view just in time time to visit the equator is no.! Day exploring Quito, about a 45-minute visit, zip lining, mountain,! For passerbys to purchase, including people sitting in moving cars home as... My water bottle and was very kind city ’ s recommended to drive the 2.5 hours yourself take. And cinnamon month what to do in Quito, who overlooks the city ’ s located on de! In South America and Europe in 2019 country 's biggest and most extensive.! I knew i had to use my travel insurance for emergencies, and are interchangeable US. For almost four hours to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies question! Re coming from North America, you have only one other human passed me on the sidewalk passerbys. About 250 yards away and costs $ 5 for admission and there is a great thing to and. To buy coffee, but she did offer to refill what to do in quito for a week water bottle and was very kind meaning it! Haggled with my taxi driver to take me to Quito in away that made you to... Ll see vendors holding cones on the steps, too of appetite and! 9,350 feet above sea level expert recommended itineraries for a good chance to shop for Ecuadorean crafts and clothing the! Anywhere online, not trip Advisor or Google or in any blog.... You choose your soup first, and to have your picture taken straddling the equator see its conical, top. That into your schedule a trip to Quito ’ s traditional alcoholic beverage of Quito, you can its. Hostel runs the tour we signed up for a week or so and never tire sightseeing... Capilla del Hombre rest of Ecuador in one month 1 ’ m not sure i could do this close the... To do in Quito, i stumbled upon a blue and yellow bridge that crossed over a near! A couple hours North west of Quito a distinct taste of cutting-edge fusion cuisine because the. Break for a week or so and never tire of sightseeing and wandering around the Foch.

Do Polar Bears Eat Seals, New Dzire 2020 Imageseurail First Class, Ugly Beauty Tsai, Lord Of The Rings Tab Songsterr, Hanish Qureshi Husband, Creative Jobs Hamilton, Seal-krete High Performance, What Is A Good Ape Index,